Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Name of the Beast



What's in a name? Everything so they say - and everything when it comes to christening this steed.

I'd originally planned to transfer some 60s HD "white star" emblems off my Fat Boy tank onto the side of the new King Sportster but they sat a little high off the metal and a bit too near the new 'fuel gauge'.


The heritage decal I was after (winged HD) was no longer available so I turned to graphic designer mate Ade to knock up a new decal around a new name. Names often suggest themselves - often associated with the running gear (Startyoubastard spings to mind) or the build. I loved the tank styling of Damage Case at The Trip Out - I'd read it was named after a 'damaged case' before its makeover.


Well I now had a mix between a Fat Boy Softail, Sportster and Springer, this was now one good looking freak of a chopper - and The Chopper Freaker was born.

After the naming ceremony (& paint & decal creation & placement) an internet trawl turned up the Chopper Freakers Band club in France. I'd seen the phrase 'Moto Freaker' in a number of mags and reckon this was a contributing factor to my thoughts around my machine's moniker so was ready for an expensive switch - however, a polite Google Translate French request to the Club's Prez resulted in an equally polite & helpful agreement that the name could stay and even an invite to their 2015 ChopperFest in June 2015:

"I'm happy that you make choppers with love, like us."

Big thanks Gilbert. Hope to get along or see you guys at The Trip Out 2015. 

Check out Chopper Freakers Band and Chopperfest at www.chopperfreakersband.fr


No comments:

Post a Comment